In order to carry out any work that is relevant to Part P of the Building Regulations you must in the first instance have the correct knowledge & qualifications. Once these have been obtained you must register with one of the, I think 5, scheme operators, the NICEIC being one of them. Apart from the annual fee for being registered you will also require 2 million pound public liability insurance and a warranty scheme.

Notification of work carried out under Part P, once registered for the scheme, will be through the scheme operator who in turn will pass the relevant information on to the relevant Building Control Office.